20090705

A small presentation of myself

Some people might wonder why I interest myself so much in what happens in the US. One reason is definately that I lived and worked there which among other things resulted in two American children and an American wife Magdalena Blaszczyk-Thurin, Ph.D. My wife was Polish before naturalization. My daughter Kristina just graduated College and my son Alexander is still in College. In my understanding I'm still married. Since I'm prevented from working in Sweden and forced to accept being "sjukskriven", incapable of working due to disease, this means I would be supported by my wife. In sickness and in health. For rich and for poor, etc. You don't get welfare in Sweden with an American wife that has a well paid job.

My father Erik I. Thurin was, he died 2005, also an American since many years. He made his Ph.D. in English at the University of Minnesota on the American philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson and remarried which means I have an American stepmother Susan Thurin, Ph.D. They both worked at a College in Wisconsin called Stout State University situated in Menomonie, a small place some 1 hours drive from Minneapolis-St. Paul.

I myself came to The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, in 1984 after having spent 2.5 years after Läkarexamen on my Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry. It was a gamble to leave before completing my Ph.D. but the offer was very challenging. I started as a staff member on a position called Associate Scientist and became Assistant Professor after 1.5 years which in a sense meant that I graduated to a Ph.D level in 1985. Things went very well. I became Associate Professor in 1991.

To make a long story short. In 1991 strange things started to happen. Things went bad and I decided to go to Sweden to finish my M.D. by working for 22 mth as a physician on an internship in 1993. This career move was in theory very good. It would direct my career more towards biology and I would even get paid during this study period. The problem was, as I discovered later, I was in a so called "bubble" and could not really engage with any person for real. Now I also know that I have been learning inhibited all this time. I did manage to pass a test for internship in medicine though after studying for half a year.

After half a year, in January 1994 my sister Ann Kjellberg, Ph.D., and former brother-in-law Anders Thurin, both physicians, decided I was mentally ill and forced me to accept accommodation at the psychiatric rehabilitation ward at Linköping where I lived then. I have learned since then that this is a procedure to contain TTDE problematic people in Sweden. Arrange so that when they start talking about hearing voices they can be diagnosed as schizophrenics. I did not get to know about TTDE until 1998 though. I was studying medicine full time during the stay of three months and then I moved to a student dormitory. That was in essence good bye to my sister.

When I realized that I would never get any internship I started on a different career. I began studying privately for a degree in International Politics and Economy. This is what I in essence is still doing even if the going is slow due to my handicap.

As I told you already, I'm a new kind of prisoner and I now live with my mother Inga-Lena Thurin since 3.5 years. My mother started her career as a midwife but became a headmaster for Vårdskolan in Göteborg. A school that educated nurses aids.

Inga kommentarer: