20091010

Nobel Obama, the Polarizer

Well, a lot of people have had a lot of ideas regarding this year's Nobel Peace Prize so far. Initially I was surprised because I was mentally busy processing Obama's dilemma with AfPak. Since I firmly believe that it is time for Afghanistan and Pakistan to mind their own business, I do feel, however, that the prize comes as a good omen for peace.

It is of course a very distinguished body of people that nominate candidates for the Peace Prize therefore the prize carries weight and having the idea that Obama is worthy of the prize means that you are in good company.

Personally I believe that Obama got the prize because of the shift in attitude he created for the US. A shift in attitude that is of paramount importance for ushering in the new multipolar world order. This is a major change for the better.

That he takes a firm stance against torture is also very important. I have seen an editorial writer here in Sweden stating that he is against torture in war but in essence don't mind it in civil life. I hope that President Obama is against torture period. I am convinced, and my experience tells me, that this is going to become a very central issue in the not so distant future.

I believe Obama will prove more than worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Inga kommentarer: