20090904

People without legal papers in Sweden and in the EU

There been a discussion for some time about what to do with people that become ill while hiding in Sweden and in other countries in the EU. I first encountered this problem while I was doing voluntary work for Caritas with people requesting asylum a few years ago.

Some people say that these people don't pay taxes and should not be allowed to get help from society. This is a weak argument because people on welfare with papers have the same problem.

However, I don't think this is an economical issue. It is a matter of helping a fellow human being in need. It is being civilized versus barbarian. If it is indeed regarded as an economical issue, I think it is of higher priority than many other expenses. In general I'm against strategies where people die on the streets like animals.

Inga kommentarer: