20090723

Obama Care and the trans-Atlantic relationship

I have earlier voiced my opinion that I believe universal health care in the US would be positive. There are presently something like 46m people uninsured, something unimaginable for Europeans. Many Europeans would even call this uncivilized.

I believe that this is a fact that makes Europeans down value Americans. Relations would improve between the US and Europe if Obama Care became a reality. According to the Eurobarometer 39% of Europeans think a unified social welfare system in EU would improve their sense of being European. Would improve the European identity. I think it is fair to extrapolate and say that this might mean that they would feel more united with Americans if Obama Care became a reality.

In an interview with Katie Couric, the highest paid news anchor in the US, Obama yesterday said that he would make sure the health care reform did not add to the deficit. That sounds good enough for me. There should not be any problems for a nation of USAs caliber to finance a universal health care plan. I think it is time for the US to prove that they can keep a cutting edge economy with universal health care. A challenge as good as any.

Inga kommentarer: