20090719

Religion

I finally managed to finish reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. When the book came I decided not to read it because it was so negative in tone towards religion but I found a copy in Swedish on the shelf of the local bookstore and began reading. His bantering style made it difficult to finish the book.

Today I read the chapter on what to do with children and religion. It is a delicate issue because parents that regularly go to church and that are happy with their religion would want to bring their children. Dawkins exemplifies with horror stories that might very well happen in atheistic families for different reasons.

However, today with my rather rare religion, which is not really Jewish or Christian where I consider that God is materialistic and is equal to Nature, even if I can fit Christendom atop my image of God and enjoy the sermon on radio every Sunday, I would hesitate to tell my children to subscribe to it. I would have let them grow up and form their own opinion.

Christians and Jews probably don't think my religion is Jewish or Christian because of my image of God. They want God in space preferably as a personal God. It is understandable. Few people are actually scientists that would be tempted to my view and find it easier to relate to a personal God.

I began interesting myself for religion when I realized that I needed this to understand the world better, its politics. I have never been an atheist. I began with the Old Testament and went through The Oxford Companion to the Bible and a Study Bible celebrating sabbath to get a feel for it. I was not able to contact any Jews so I continued investigating religion by the New Testament and Roman Catholicism. As I explained earlier, this did not work either, congregation wise. I did go to Catholic Church for one and a half year every Sunday, however, and I did get baptised. I like the Bible and I like churches.

It is my understanding that the clan that controls my body hates religion and actively prevents worshipping. There is no silent prayer, ever for me.

Inga kommentarer: