20071018

Mellan två världsbilder

I boken Coming to Peace with Science: Bridging the Worlds Between Faith and Biology från 2004, ger Darrel R. Falk, en biologiprofessor, ett recept för att kunna leva i två världar samtidigt.

Ett citat poängterar ett kanske intressant fenomen:

"I have already alluded to the frustration I sensed during those days when I had one foot in the world of Christianity and the other in a world of secular knowledge. At that early stage of my life I thought that if I ever immersed myself in biological knowledge I would quickly slide down the slippery slope to agnosticism. It is largely because of this (I hesitate to admit) that my original plan was to immerse myself in what I naively considered to be the more innocuous subjects of chemistry and physics. I did not want to live life in confusion, and it seemed to me that those sciences would not confound my spiritual instincts".

Kan det ligga något i detta som skulle förklara varför det verkar vara fler naturvetenskapliga kristna forskare i ämnena fysik och matematik än i biologi? Eller är det bara att jag fått tag på ett skevt urval av personer? Jag har funnit John Polkinghorne och Alister E. McGrath båda präster och vetenskapsmän samt Georges-Henri Lemaître (1894-1966), en Belgisk katolsk präst tillika astronom som var den första att förutspå the Big Bang matematiskt.

Inga kommentarer: